Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chocolate Marble Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Streusal Topping

It has become clear to me that my cooking skills are very quickly being monopolized by baking. Basically because I can't mess up things that contain sugar and chocolate, well, I'm sure I could, but it is less likely.

Banana Bread is one of those recipes that I have been able to successfully master. So, when I came across this recipe for Chocolate Marble Banana Bread I figured it seemed like a natural progression.


Of course I chose to add more melted chocolate than the recipe suggested and also included un-melted chocolate chips, but that's just the kind of woman I am.


Although my bread was not nearly as pretty as the picture with the original recipe, the Streusal Topping was lovely and the bread DELISH. This recipe is definitely a keeper. However, I still don't know exactly what it means to "swirl with the knife to create a marble pattern."

Chocolate Marble Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Streusel Topping via The City Sage

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 bananas)
1 egg
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray

Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then blend in banana, egg and yogurt. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir until just combined--don't overmix! Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, then pull out about half the banana batter and stir into melted chocolate. Layer dark and light batters in an 8 x 4 inch baking pan, swirl with a knife to create a marbled pattern, then bake at 350 degrees for about an hour--top and sides will be browned and a knife stuck into the loaf will come out clean. Let cool and then devour!

For the Streusel Topping, before baking, combine 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup butter and 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles small peas. Sprinkle mixture evenly over batter in pans. Bake as directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment