Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What's Up Doc?

A cheesy and predictable title, but you know you liked it...

[ image via garance dore ]

Upon seeing this image, I promptly telephoned my mother to ask if my classic middle school Doc Martens happened to still be hiding in the back of my childhood closet. Her response, "No, we threw those ugly things out."

I cannot blame my mother for her quick disregard for these heavy boots. In my small Oklahoma town, the "Doc" was all the rage of the seventh and eighth graders of my time. These boots were typically worn with pressed lucky jeans, shirts plastered with Abercromblie and short haircuts flipped out at the ends, often adorned with butterfly clips. Not the best look for a 5' 7", 90 lb girl with hair she could sit on...

In truth, back then I could not see the potential in their masculinity. Like here, juxtaposed by a flirty mini. Or in that Maroon Five Misery video, so sexy in their bad ass-ery.

So what do you think? Will you dare to do the Doc?

3 comments:

  1. NO!!!! i can't believe those things are coming back.. i refuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True confession...I loved my doc's...I had 3 pairs...and refused to let my mom toss them. That being said I am not sure you will see me sporting them anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Bianca! You just described me as a 7th grader on out-of-uniform days! Those butterfly clips! Cringe!

    p.s. Happy belated birthday, birthday twin! :)

    ReplyDelete