Tuesday, May 22, 2012

tears as big as china

My dear friend, Holly, is moving to China.
DSC08649 DSC08650 DSC08652 DSC08656 DSC08655 DSC08657 DSC08662 DSC08658 DSC08665 DSC08666 DSC08668 DSC08667 
Holly claims that her life's goal was to become a trophy wife. She swears that she actually belongs in the comfort of a husband's slightly more than comfortable home, caring for her two daughters with naturally yellow hair and porcelain skin like their mother's. In her alternate reality, the one that was meant to be, Holly spends her days working out and then, subsequently, baking cupcakes.

In just a few days, Holly will be on a plane to China. For one year Holly will inhabit the bustling city of Shanghai. There she will teach English to the local children. She knows no Mandarin herself, but hopes to have a relatively firm grasp on this language of the future by the time she is done.

The life she has chosen is a far cry from the one she had planned. Now with a triple-threat resume that includes Disney Princess, master's degree, and future China resident, her reality is arguably far more interesting than the dream.

I surprised Holly over the weekend to say my year-long goodbye. I made this kit to make her smile, which was good because the moment she saw me Holly burst into tears. Tears as big as China.

Her tears were an honor. The very idea that my presence could make someone like Holly happy enough to cry seemed like a compliment of which I am not worthy.

Holly's tears made me think that her somewhat-kidding dream of becoming someone's trophy wife really isn't that far off. Because the man who does finally win her heart will be getting quite the prize.

But there will be time for all that later. After China.

13 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love the idea. Good luck to her! I love your blog :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah... Thank you so much Stesha! She's going to be amazing!

      And thank you for saying you love my blog! Made me smile really really big :)

      Delete
  2. What a thoughtful heart you have! This is a wonderful idea, and I know it meant a lot to her that you took the time to put together something so special and unique. Heartfelt gift-giving is becoming a lost art these days, and I think it's super special that you value it so highly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea!! I love gifts like these that are from the heart! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is too awesome!! i love this :)

    xx

    natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! That's such a sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a sweet idea, love it!!

    P.S.- I wanna be a trophy wife too, haha

    http://olgasrecord.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I love you.
    2. I'm going to print this out and take it with me because your sweet words mean the absolute world to me.
    3. You may have felt honored by my tears, but I felt honored by your presence! The drive from Wichita to Tulsa is no laughing matter and I appreciate your constant support and encouragement more than I can express.
    4. I definitely cried reading this.
    5. I'm going to miss you!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Holly! Don't get to comfortable in China... K?

      Delete
  8. this is the most adorable gift! great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the wonderful comments! I do hope this inspires some sweet and silly gift giving. Be sure to let me know if you make a survival kit of your own. It doesn't have to be for China of course ;) I'd love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the cutest box I have ever seen. I want to move to China just to get one ;)

    Haha, LOVE THIS! How thoughtful are you?!

    ReplyDelete