Wednesday, May 23, 2012

this isn't about the ballgame

ballgame2 ballgame him ballgame4 ballgame3 This isn't about the ballgame. It is about the fight that preceded the ballgame.

I won't go into the details of the fight itself. Let me just say, it was about a band-aid. It was one of those fights where even as you are having it you are thinking, "Seriously? Are we actually arguing about this?"

The argument began as I watched our garage door slowly close. The fight came to its climax at the first stop sign leaving our quiet neighborhood. It was at this intersection that, in a huff, I decided I no longer cared to be in that car. So with wheels still rolling to a stop, I got out.

At the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Making a statement. Taking a stand. Looking like an idiot.

Yes, it only took one slam of the passenger-side door and three clomps of my sandals against the concrete to realize this was a bad idea. Suddenly I was brutally aware that our entire block seemed to have chosen this moment to enjoy the beautiful day. Families out on their front porches, children playing in their yards, non-arguing couples on their evening jogs. Why had I not noticed them before?

I could feel the heat of embarrassment spread to my cheeks. Luckily the neighbors couldn't see that. What they could see was my head pointing straight ahead in an effort to avoid their curious glances. My quick pace was meant to look purposeful and normal. Very, "Oh yes, I always get out of the car after a block and take a quick jaunt back to our home. Totally normal."

In my shadow I could see my skinny arms flailing, my curls bouncing angrily, and my hips swaying with attitude. It reminded me of a two-year old throwing a tantrum. Only I am 26.

Like the smart man he is, the engineer met me back at the house. We resolved the issue relatively quickly and proceeded to enjoy a baseball game.

I fear it may take longer for the neighbors to recover.

7 comments:

  1. Aw! That is embarrassing... I'm glad everything worked out, but I know how it feels to feel PUBLICLY embarrassed. No fun at all. I'm sure hardly anyone noticed.
    ♥Ky
    www.thebirdssay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon your blog. Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I always have silly little fights with my boy - but the makeup is always worth it!

    SIDEWALKCATWALKS.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya, it happens..seriously STUPID things that you can't believe turned into an argument . but hey, better than something worse( like cheating, stealing, lying,etc) right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking back on it... it was pretty dang hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete