Wednesday, June 13, 2012

southwest quinoa salad

DSC08798 DSC08793 DSC08797 DSC08799
DSC08791 DSC08790 DSC08787 DSC08789
The engineer texted me yesterday evening to tell me that my quinoa cold salad was "awesome." He used an exclamation point, for the record.

Healthy easy dish that results in a text of praise from my husband? I think we've got another winner on our hands here.

What I did:
1 cup uncooked quinoa (I used Inca Red)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 15 ounce can black beans
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved and quartered (depending on size)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 large lime or 2 small ones (about 1/4 cup)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin

Place quinoa in saucepan with vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until water absorbed. Allow to cool.

Place cooled cooked quinoa in a salad bowl with black beans, tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro.

Whisk lime juice, oil, and cumin together in separate bowl. Pour over quinoa salad, then toss.

This is so yummy! We've been eating this as a side dish with baked tilapia and even put it in pita bread. Last night, I went salad, in pita, plus a little greek yogurt... what can I say? Things are gettin' CRAZY over here...

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to make this! It looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I wanna try it soon


    www.pinsneedlesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks beyond yummy, and so perfect for summer BBQs! I'm loving your blog girl, I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll follow me back and we can keep in touch. I love discovering new blogs!

    Sarah xoxo
    http://pandorasboxblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. See!!! You can cook ;) love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete