Wednesday, September 12, 2012

at the fair

State Fair
State Fair State Fair
State Fair State Fair State Fair State Fair State Fair State Fair State Fair
"The poultry? You really want to see the poultry?," he asked with sarcastic disbelief. As though I had no idea what I was saying. "You know it's going to stink..."

I glanced in my husband's direction with an eye roll, making sure to move my head as little as physically possible. It was my own little way of letting him know that his comment was not deserving of my energy. I knew what I was getting myself into.

That's when it hit me like a brick wall. Oh, that's the stink he was talking about.

Still a city block from the building, I began to question my resolve. If that's what it smelled like from here, what would it be like inside? The idea of turning back to the delicious aroma of fried cookie dough and cotton candy was more appealing, but I had done the eye roll thing. Dang it.

A few more steps to the building entrance. Even the energetic "cockadoodledoos" coming from inside were not enough to remove the grimace from my face.

By the metal building entrance, I turned around. Nope, you win husband, I think I'm good.

That's when I saw the couple behind us, bravely heading into the poultry building, stench and all. As they came to the threshold the man halted abruptly. Eyes wide, he turned slowly to stare pointedly at the large turkey leg firmly in the grasp of his female counterpart.

"You're not going to bring that IN HERE, are you?" he said in a shocked tone.

I laughed out loud and practically pulled my husband into the poultry building. He looked confused.

"Well, now I haaaaave to go in!" I explained to him.

And that's how the poultry exhibit became my favorite attraction at the Kansas State Fair.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha. That is hilarious...
    And great pictures, as always.
    ��Ky
    www.thebirdssay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Kansas State Fair! It was my favorite place to collect pens and magnets for the school year.

    ReplyDelete